Perform patient care to children as well as adults. Perform office and laboratory duties. Work with dentist and dental hygienist in the examination and treatment of patients. Ensure the comfort of patients in exam chair, prepare patients for treatment, and obtain medical records as necessary.
- Checks appointment schedule and assists receptionist with dentist’s patient schedule.
- Prepares exam rooms and instruments for examination. Stock supplies. Keeps track of dental supplies and materials needed.
- Prepare tray setups for dental procedures.
- Receive patients from waiting room.
- Prepares patients to be seen by doctor or hygienist.
- Obtains dental and or medical records for patients, as needed.
- Assists doctor or hygienist with needs during the exam and treatment of each patient; Hand instruments and materials to dentist, and keep patients’ mouth dry and clear by using suction devices.
- Conduct and process X-ray film as directed by dentist.
- Take impressions and pour up model.
- Instruct patients on postoperative and general oral health care.
- Fulfills other requests of dentist or hygienist.
- Sterilize and disinfect instruments and equipment; Clean and polish removable appliances.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment.
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medications as directed.
- Skill in maintaining records and recording tests results.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to read, understand and respond to detailed oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Graduate of an accredited dental assistance program
- X-ray certified
- One-year experience in health care setting.
- 1 year of clinical experience
- Connecticut Dental Assistant license
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Requires standing for long periods of time.
- Occasional bending, stretching or lifting.
- May require contact with individuals with communicable disease.
- Requires the ability to work under high stress conditions.
- Ability to hear a normal range of voice.
- Requires manual dexterity
WORKING CONDITIONS (e.g. shift, overtime, weekends, on call duties):
- Normal office environment.
- Occasional exposure to communicate diseases and other condition in the health center environment.
- Strict adherence to proper radiological processing and use of protective devices.
NOTE: Applications that do not include a Cover Letter will not be reviewed.